'Iron Man 2' Gets Even More Awesome

9:10 AM / Posted by Unknown /

Two of my favorite character actors have joined Iron Man 2, according to /Film.

Clark Gregg, who recently directed the Chuck Palahniuk adaptation Choke, and can be seen in the comedic goldmine that is The New Adventures of Old Christine is thankfully back as Agent Coulson of S.H.I.E.L.D. In the first film, Coulson was used to introduce the concept of S.H.I.E.L.D., which is expected to be a very big part of any subsequent Iron Man film. Gregg is so good at this type of role (see In Good Company) and played really well off of Gwenyth Paltrow's Pepper Potts.

And speaking of extremely attractive ladies, Kate Mara (We Are Marshall) is going to play a role that, as of right now, is being kept secret. Paltrow is coming back and the eye candy factor is going to go off the charts with Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow, so it should be interesting to see where Mara fits in. Even though Shooter was kind of horrible, We Are Marshall is in my top three sports movies of all time, and Mara was a big part of that in a smaller role.

Iron Man has been my favorite superhero since I was a kid. It was the character that got me into comic books, an obsession that continues to this day. The first Iron Man film was everything I could have hoped for and, from what I've heard so far, the second installment just will add to the awesome hybrid director Jon Favreau has established of comedy, drama, and action film, except without all of the origin story to plow through this time. I will say, though, that I'm extremely saddened by the rumors that the Demon in a Bottle storyline won't be addressed in this film. The story arc, which explores Tony Stark's alcoholism, is one of the best comic arcs I've ever read and should definitely be checked out by anyone interested in Iron Man as a character.

The release date for Iron Man 2 is May 7, 2010 and is shooting right now.

Labels: , , ,

8 comments:

Anonymous on April 23, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Time out. Now I understand that you're not the biggest sports fan in the world but you ARE a movie guy who blogs about movies. You buried the lead: "We Are Marshall is in my top three sports movies of all time."

I didn't even read the rest of the post, except to browse for "just kidding about that We Are Marshall thing." Never found it.

Ummmm....ever heard of Hoosiers, Rocky I-IV, Raging Bull, Field of Dreams, Mighty Ducks I-II, Bull Durham, A League of Their Own, Rudy, Slap Shot, The Natural, He Got Game, Rounders, Hoop Dreams, Brian's Song/The Longest Yard/Bad News Bears (original versions), When We Were Kings, and a few little-known documentaries called SPACE JAM and CADDYSHACK?!?!?!

Let me guess...your top three also includes "The Scout" and "Eddie"?

REPENT.

-AT

Anonymous on April 23, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Just realized that it was someone named Phil, not Brad, who posted this one. Although I now feel like a dickhead because I'm more comfortable busting my friends than strangers, I still cannot undrop my jaw at the thought of someone believing that statement. Carry on, internet.

-AT

Anonymous on April 23, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I think ED is also in the top 3 of Phil W. Everyone loves a monkey.

Anonymous on April 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Longtime reader, first-time commenter. We Are Marshall in your top 3 sports movies of all time ?! What the f##k! Dude- you need to watch more movies. Anybody who has a movie helmed by the moniker of McG in the top 3 of anything (maybe top 3 worst) should have their movie viewing privileges revoked and summarily blinded. Do you have a man-crush on McConaughey the Shirtless?

Comment by Harry Nelson on April 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I hope you weren't being sarcastic about 'The New Adventures of Old Christine' because that show is a pretty great sitcom.

Anonymous on April 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM

We Are Marshall was a piece of shit movie.

Anonymous on April 24, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Apparently, the ability to identify a good movie and a bad movie is no longer needed to write about film. Interesting.

Comment by Bradford Oman on April 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Wow...Phil, you're really taking a lot of hits for liking We Are Marshall, and I can't say that I don't agree with some of the snarky comments.

Post a Comment